[time-nuts] OT: 01005 Soldering Was: Low Cost GP-IB PCI card?

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Tue Jul 11 18:42:47 EDT 2006

Jack,

At 03:03 PM 7/11/2006, you wrote:
>I have 2 questions below for your colleague.
>
>I hand solder 01005 as well from time to time, not anything
>production mind you.
>Though I've never met or heard of anyone else doing this by hand; though I'm
>sure there are a few, this is a the first I've run across.

We are handling these sizes for prototyping also, we often only
assemble one board before we pass the rest of the proto batch
(usually 50) to our outside assembly house. Most of our routine work
is only down to 0201. We go smaller and handle lots of flip-chips for
microwave stuff. Sadly that business is getting smaller and smaller
these days as the MMIC's get better and better.

>I've been using the poke and hope reflow method which give me 80% success
>without rework.
>I use an X/Y/Z/A pick and place setup (air pickup) I built; right now it's now
>manual due to time constraints.

Same here, we have XYZ tables we built about 5 of some years back -
when we went to 0805 as I recall! It is manual as it is only used for
prototyping and rework in the lab.

>  Make my own pickups from pipette's that are
>heated and drawn together forming 2 channels, one for vacuum and the other
>detects pickup (though I don't have this working very well but, not
>a problem in
>manual).

We use commercial vacumn pickups. If I recall correctly most of the
gear came from OK Industries about 5 years ago and we keep adding
bits and pieces to it. You cannot reliably handle 0201 or 010005
without vacumn. Tweezers are hopeless. Same for flipchips.

>Could you ask your colleague what soldering station he/she uses?
>Has he/she considered air pickup and if so what keeps them from using it?

If he is hand soldering I think it would be his Metcal. He has
hot-air reflow on that as well as the standard handpiece and a Talon
tweezer handpiece. He has 2 MX-500 units as well as a selection of
vacumn pumps and compressors. There is also a Pace system and some
Weller gear on his desk, but it doesn't seem to get much use these days.

I tend to work with bigger stuff so I am the hotplate and Metcal man.

John