[time-nuts] caveat emptor: eBay t&m seller warning

Christopher Hoover ch at murgatroid.com
Mon Jul 17 23:13:10 EDT 2006

Folks,

Heads up on this eBay seller: Test Equipment Surplus, eBay id
<http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif>
<http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=jtsele&ii
d=7614062550&frm=284&ssPageName=VIP:feedback:1:us> jtsele, aka
jtsele at pacbell.net aka Joon Kyong.

Although I have satisfactorily done business with him on eBay several
times, I got ripped off in my last transaction.

I recommend you do not do business with him.  To substantiate this
recommendation, here's the story.

I bought an  HP 5065A RUBIDIUM VAPOR FREQUENCY STANDARD, item
#7614062550, from the seller for $555 + s/h.    The unit arrived in
great cosmetic shape but with a  suspicious rattle.   I popped the top
to find the physics package missing.  The rattle was the bracket for the
package.

I was annoyed but unworried.   The item was advertised with the
following guarantee:

"This item is in good working condition and is guaranteed to work. If
you receive the item and it does not function, please let us know and we
will give you a full refund including shipping."

No physics package == not good working condition, right?

I contacted the seller, and he agreed to take the item back.  He gave me
his FedEx number.   Great, I'm thinking, I don't have a working 5065A,
but at least I'll get my money back and I don't even have to spot him
the return shipping.

It took me a few weeks to get the package back to him -- we had a baby
at that point -- but I sent it the week after we got back from the
hospital.  I have confirmation that the item was received and signed
for.

I have yet to see my refund, even after many messages asking him to pay.
It's been long enough that PayPal won't do squat about it.   Short of a
small claims action, which I am seriously considering, I am out > $500.
('though I understand I may be able to get $200 back from eBay ...
haven't looked into this in detail yet.)

-ch