[time-nuts] New frequency standard, Mercury better than Cesium?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Mon Jul 17 23:41:43 EDT 2006

Hi Chuck:

I think it will take 4 to 6 years for the tin whiskers to grow to the
point of shorting out IC packages, relays, etc.  That's why NASA has
reactivated the work they have done on whisker growth.  See:
http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/
It seems that they do not have a good theoretical handle on what causes
whisker growth  (or what stops it) and so the "qualification" tests that
manufacturers are trying to use will most likely not work.  NASA says
the only way to know is to see if you can grow whiskers on every lot of
tin plated parts, or better use lead to kill the whisker growth.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke

--
w/Java http://www.PRC68.com