[time-nuts] Linear Interpolator

Paul Boven p.boven at chello.nl
Thu Jul 20 18:54:35 EDT 2006

Hi fellow time-nuts,

Stephan Sandenbergh wrote:

> I also read the article posted earlier by Tom van Baak (Thanks Tom! This is
> indeed a very comprehensive article.) It turns out that you can implement a
> very elegant linear interpolator using a digital delay line inside a FPGA.
> It is called the Vernier technique. From the article I understand that
> resolutions of between 10s and 100s of picoseconds have been achieved for
> various designs.

 > Has anyone else used this Vernier technique with delay lines? I seems
pretty
 > neat to me.

I'll take this opportunity to plug something I wrote for last year's
UKW-Tagung (VHF-conference) in Weinheim:
"Increasing the resolution of reciprocal counters" which shows how to
use the Digital Clock Management feature of the Spartan series of FPGA
to achieve a 16-fold increase in resolution, resulting in a 625ps
resolution (1.6GHz reference) at the moment.
This technique indeed uses a similar kind of delay-line, but integrated
in the DCM which provides calibration and phase-shifting.

http://a48046.upc-a.chello.nl/~paul/Reciproke.pdf

Regards, Paul Boven.