[time-nuts] 1pps; what good is it?

Rasputin Novgorod priapulus at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 12:04:41 EDT 2006

Hi All:

I'm an electronics hobbiest, though not necessarily
chronotonically obsessed. I have an Hp-Z3801A GPS receiver
Timebase. I got it to provide an accurate external
10 Mhz reference clock for some HP test gear that I have.

It also has a 1 pulse per second output; what is it good
for, in industry, and for me? For me, I could see it
feeding a homebrew clock (ordinary what-time-is-it clock):
a bunch of ttl downcounting logic, driver chips and led display.
Also, <http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~geoff36/gps.htm>
tells how to interface 1pps to a PC for amateur astronomical
timing.

Sincerely
/b