[time-nuts] On Setting Precision Clock

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Fri Jul 21 21:29:50 EDT 2006

Hi:

I've been working on making a LCD based clock where the PIC
microcontroller uses a precision frequency source as it's heartbeat.
Today I got the LCD navigation and time-date setting to work, but don't
like it.  The current version stops the clock and then uses the cursor
and blink hardware features of the LCD, but the problem is that cursor
and blink are global, i.e. they can not be used when the LCD is being
updated constantly (like once each second).  So I'm thinking of better
ways to set the clock and my current idea is to use a couple of
characters at the very upper right of the LCD is indicators.  They might
be HH, MM, SS, YR, MO, DY or others, and can be changed by the Select
button.  Then pressing the Increment or decrement buttons would change
the associated counter.   This way you would not loose the 1 PPS edge
when changing the time or date.
http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/PRC68COM.shtml#PC3      <- as it is
today

Any thoughts?