[time-nuts] How do I know my GPS stabilized oscillator is working?

Bill Hawkins bill at iaxs.net
Mon Jul 31 11:51:54 EDT 2006

I can give you a data point about lightning.

Last year, lightning hit a tree that was so close to my
neighbor's house that the deck roof had been cut back to
clear it. That tree was 20' below nearby trees, but it
had an unobstructed view of the pond behind us. Lightning
hit it (a spectacular flash-bang), split it, and jumped
into the house electrical system at the outdoor floodlight
socket on the deck roof.

My antenna mast is about 75' from his tree. There are two
HP GPS antennas mounted five feet apart on a 2" pipe tee
arrangement. A ground wire rises straight up from the ground
rod to 3' above the antennas. The antennas were not powered
at the time, but were connected to Z3801s with RG-8 cable.
The antenna closer to the strike is now junk. The other
antenna is good. Ah, the altitude of the antennas is the roof
line of the house, so that my wife won't be embarrassed.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a "nice box" and what are
LPRO, UT+, TVB-DIV? A computer and programs I should know about?

Regards,
Bill Hawkins