[time-nuts] GPS Selective Availability. Is it On or Off?

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Sun Mar 12 20:47:47 EST 2006

Rex wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 12:36:12 -0500, Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com>
> wrote:
>
>> SA was turned off to allow the troops in Desert Storm to use
>> civilian GPS units (there was a critical shortage of military
>> P-band units)
>>
>> It has never been turned on since.
>>
>> -Chuck Harris
>
> Where did you get that notion? Desert Stom was 1991, wasn't it? What
> happened in 2000, like this web page mentions?
> http://www.cycc.org.uk/news/gpssa.htm

I got the notion that it was turned off during Desert Storm,
by virtue of being involved in the e-warfare effort that lead
up to, and followed the event.

I haven't been paying much attention since.  I knew that they
had intended to turn SA back on after production of the p-code
units was up to speed, but I hadn't heard whether or not they
did.

-Chuck Harris