[time-nuts] HP-5245L Parts

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Wed May 24 16:46:24 EDT 2006

At 04:18 PM 5/24/2006, Allan W. Bart, Jr. wrote:

>These units are still plentiful, you might want to go to a local
>hamfest or ebay, the better deals are at the hamfests.
>
>Allan

The side frames are common to many instruments of the period. Some
power supply parts are common to the 5246, 5245 and 5248 (the 5246 is
a skun down 5245, the 5248 goes to 150MHz as I recall).

The 5245L suffers for frequency comparison because it has only a
period average (no Time Interval Average) and the period average is
only good to 300kHz. The 5262A doesn't support averaging either, so
it or the 5263A (same case I think) will only offer resolution of 100ns.

The 5345A will offer 2ns single shot time interval resolution and can
average over 1000 intervals giving 2ps resolution.

The ideal is the 5370A/B which has a single shot TI resolution of 20ps.

John