[time-nuts] Misuse of NTP Servers by Hardware Manufactures

Glenn glenn at net127.com
Wed May 3 14:29:21 EDT 2006

Enyo wrote:

>I am frequently coming across hardware that contains hard coded or pre
>defined lists of Stratum 1 servers as NTP time sources and I am looking to
>gain some insight into how Stratum 1 server operators and the NTP community
>are tackling this.

I presume you are familiar with this:

Poul-Henning Kamp, Slagelse, Denmark, writes
<http://people.freebsd.org/%7Ephk/dlink/>:

When I contacted D-Link back in November 2005 about the way D-Link
products abused my NTP-server, I expected to get in touch with somebody
who understood what they were talking about, I expected them to admit
that D-Link had made a bad decision and I expected that D-Link would
make good on the damage they were responsible for.

For the last five months I have wasted a lot of time trying to reach
some kind of agreement with the Californian lawyer which D-Link put on
the case. I can’t quite make up my mind if D-Link’s lawyer negotiates in
bad faith or is merely uninformed, I tend to suspect the latter, but
either way, as of this morning I decided to cut my losses.

Since no one else at D-Link has reacted to my numerous emails, I have no
other means of getting in touch with D-Link other than an open letter. I
realize that it will be inconvenient and embarrasing for D-Link to have
this matter exposed in public this way, but I seem to have no other choice.

I will now lay out the case below in such detail that any moderately
knowledgeable person should be able to understand it, and hopefully
somebody, somewhere in D-Link will contact me so we can get this matter
resolved.
[..]

  2006-04-27 Update:

    "D-Link and Poul-Henning Kamp announced today that they have amicably
    resolved their dispute regarding access to Mr. Kamp's GPS.Dix.dk
    NTP Time Server site. D-Link's existing products will have
    authorized access to Mr. Kamp's server, but all new D-Link
    products will not use the GPS.Dix.dk NTP time server. D-Link is
    dedicated to remaining a good corporate and network citizen."

http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/