[time-nuts] Entry level systems

Hal Murray hmurray at suespammers.org
Wed May 24 20:27:58 EDT 2006

>    I am starting from essentially nothing. The most practical
> use I would have is a primary source for NTP. Other than
> that, it would be experimenting with setting up an accurate
> time source.

If you want to start with NTP, the Garmin GPS-18 LVC is popular.

It's a hockey puck.  Mine is inside.  It works most of the time.

You need the LVC version.  The others don't have the PPS output.  Some
assembly required.  One trick is to steal power from USB.  Total cost should
be under $100.  (Assuminng you already have a soldering iron and such.)

Lots of good info at:
  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/WebHome

Refclock info at:
  http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/ConfiguringRefclocks