[time-nuts] philosophical question

Mark Amos mark.amos at toast.net
Sun Nov 5 12:44:57 EST 2006

Time nuts,

Being a recent addition to the list, I'm going to use my one dumb question* card on an epistemological
question that's puzzling me.

When you come up with a better measuring device (clock, oscillator, etc.), how do you know its better?
Since, presumably, the only other tools available to measure it are not as good, how can one tell if
it's better (more precise, more accurate, more consistent, etc.)

I'm probably just suffering from lack of sleep (from worrying about this...)

Any thoughts?

Mark

*my old Jr. High shop teacher was fond of saying - usually in reference to me - "There are no dumb
questions; only dumb people."