[time-nuts] FMT

Normand Martel martelno at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 10 15:46:44 EST 2006

Personnaly, i use a self-developed technique to
remotely measure a station's frequency:

I use a precision OXCO controlled RF signal generator
to inject an unmodulated (CW) signal (via a
directional coupler) signal 1000 Hz below the actual
station's frequency (example, to monitor CHU at 7335
kHz, i inject a 7334 kHz signal into the coupler). I
then adjust the generator's level to obtain a
comfortable 1000 Hz from my receiver (in AM mode
preferably, but it even works in FM... do not use SSB
or CW modes, since the receiver's BFO will interfere).
Finally, i measure the  1 kHz beat's frequency with
precision (for that, i use an synthesized audio
generator with a ramp (sawtooth) output on an o'scope
in a X-Y function (X = ramp, Y = beat).

I prefer to use a ramp rather than a sine signal,
since the ramp closely resembles a classic temporal
sweep in a scope. This way, it becomes very easy to
see if the generator's frequency is above or below the
beat's frequency, which is much harder with a sine X
input.

One other way is to use the scope in classic mode with
the audio synthetizer (preferably in square wave, but
sine would also do the job) feeding the scope's
external trigger.

However, on distant HF signals, it becomes very hard
to precisely measure the station's frequency due to
the signal's fading which has important effects on the
signal's phase. This phase unstability originates from
the constantly changing RF signal's path due to the
naturally unstable ionosphere's condition.

The receiver does NOT need to be a precision unit (you
could even use a VFO controlled radio), since the beat
comes from the heterodyning between the station's and
the generator's signals.

73 de Normand Martel VE2UM
Montreal, Qc. Canada.