[time-nuts] GMT vs. UTC

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Nov 20 14:55:04 EST 2006

Dear arch-time-nuts,

Today I came up with a question onto which I have no simple and quick answer in
the back of my head, so what is better than turning to my time-nut friends?

The question relates to weither GMT and UTC is the same time-scale or not.
If they are not, what is the difference? Where would I find any authority
information showing that they are the same or are not the same.

Now, if you would write law, which one would you use, GMT or UTC?
Personally, I would go for UTC (since I understand its connection to TAI).
GMT? I am not sure.

I really need to understand this issue.

Cheers,
Magnus