[time-nuts] Motorola Oncore GPS Interface Board

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Mon Nov 27 22:36:57 EST 2006

> Jason,
>
> The only problem with that part is that it's not a buffer! It's a
> switch. It has no drive capability at all.
>
> There are useful buffer chips for this task, but their names escape me
> just now. Perhaps the 74FCT245 or equivalent would work.
>
> Driving a full 5V TTL signal into a 50 ohm load is another matter - you
> need a lot of DC power (1/2 watt) to do that. I was just using a Liner
> Tech LT1010 for a similar job - it would get the job done, but folks
> here might complain about the phase noise.

You're right... I guess I had a brain fart, I don't know where my mind was
at that moment... ;)

Anyhow, besides using a buffer chip (like the several mentioned in other
posts), how would using a plain old voltage following op-amp compare? I
haven't looked up any specs yet, I'm just throwing the idea out there.