[time-nuts] GPS becoming large

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Sat Oct 7 15:21:37 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

I got this message, and I assume you would find it interesting.

8<----
Due to the extended life of the GPS satellites, we are now facing the
possibility there will be more than 30 satellites in the constellation.  It
is believed this might be a problem in some receivers.  Receiver
manufacturers should be able to confirm if this is a problem.  The Memo at
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gpsnotices/50SW_GPSW_letter.pdf gives more
information.

Civil responses:  If you believe this will cause a problem, please contact
NAVCEN at: TIS-PF-NISWS at uscg.mil by 20 October 2006.

What is the best way to forward this to the telecom community?

I have not planned to be in Vancouver next week, though I am aware that
there is an OPTXS and an ITU-T meeting.  This seems important enough that
ITU-T participants would want to know and check with their receiver
manufacturers.  That is, I think both U.S. and international telecom users
should consider whether their receivers will fail because of this.

Charles, perhaps you can forward this to appropriate people in Europe;
perhaps at least members of the ITSF steering committee.

Regards,
Marc
---->8

With the GPS constallation hitting 32 we seems to run out of "legal" PRN codes
even.

Cheers,
Magnus