[time-nuts] How to measure Allan Deviation?

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sun Oct 22 22:34:12 EDT 2006

Didier Juges wrote:
> Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
>
>> In principle this measurement could be made with a time interval counter:
>> PPS -> START
>> delayed 10KHz -> STOP
>>
>> Vary the delay and watch the jitter jump when the leading edge of the
>> PPS signal occurs during the 10KHz burst which was phase coherent with
>> the previous PPS pulse.
>> The only problem is finding a suitable variable delay device with
>> sufficiently low (<=1ns??) jitter.
>>

> The delay device can be triggered by the 1 PPS, then will drive the ARM
> input of the counter, so as long as the delay device's jitter  is less
> than the 10 kHz period, if we adjust the delay to 0.99985 second
> (between the last 2 periods of 10 kHz before the 1 PPS), then the TI
> counter will START on the last 10 kHz pulse before the pps, and STOP on
> the 1 PPS.
> Tek has some time delay generators in the TM-500 and 7000 plug-in
> series. I knew one day I would need one of those, I now know why :-)
>
> Didier

Didier

A much simpler/cheaper though less flexible solution to the phase jerk
measurement problem.

Construct a preloadable synchronous up counter using 4 74HC163's
(74HC160 or 74HC162 also OK but may be harder to obtain).
Clock this at 10KHz from the GPS receiver. Use a 74HC164 to synchronise
the PPS output to 10KHz (use a 74HC86 as a clock buffer so the correct
clock polarity can be easily selected). Use a 74HC00 to generate a pulse
one clock cycle wide from the shift register 7th and 8th stage outputs.
This pulse is used to load the counter chain with a suitable value
corresponding to the desired delay. A decoder and a deglitching flipflop
are used to generate a glitch free GATE signal for the HP5370. A 74AC04
can be configured as a suitable driver for the ARM input. Additional
logic ensures that the counter resets to zero and stops until the next
PPS pulse occurs.

Bruce