[time-nuts] Comparison of Logic Standards for Clock Distribution

Stephan Sandenbergh stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Wed Oct 25 07:06:45 EDT 2006

Hi Bruce,

Thank you for the elaborate answer covering different logic types. Funny
enough, I have just read the excellent book you recommended cover to cover -
probably the origin of many of my questions.

As I said in reaction to Said's response - I am not surprised that analog
(sine wave) transmission is superior. But, it takes a lot more effort to do
it well.

You mentioned that locking to a crystal at the receiving end as an option.
Does this mean that signal transmission is primarily plagued by short term
noise?

I have never really touched the topic of optical fibre, but I realise that
it is superior to conventional methods. The superiority of optic fibre is
probably not as pronounced at short distances, is it?

I realise that a better reference clock will only improve a system's
performance up to the point where the jitter and phase noise of the other
components in the system begins to dominate. However, I would like to have a
good grip on the basics. Are there any good books you can recommend on the
topic of clock distribution?

Kind regards,

Stephan Sandenbergh