[time-nuts] HP 5060A option 004

Chuck Norton cen at frequencystandards.com
Tue Oct 31 18:56:18 EST 2006

HI Marc:
    Do you know if the tube in the unit is any good? If it isn't, there isn't a lot of point in trying to fit an oscillator into it. It is likely that the original oscillator was removed and one of the newer style installed in it's place. You would then not need all of the oven positions on the meter and might paint over them. I have seen a few of them that have had this done to them. I am not positive but I don't believe that HP ever made a retrofit kit for this. The original oscillator was a long cylindrical tube, somewhat smaller than the cesium tube. The second generation was the "brick" about 5 inches by 2.5 inches by 2.5 inches. If you were going to fit one in and are not concerned about keeping it original, I would put a 10811A into it. It will take some work to do it but will probably serve you better in the long run. I do not have a spare manual at this time but if you want to contact me off list, I will help you figure out as much as possible with your unit.

Chuck Norton
Frequency Standards & Services