[time-nuts] Converter for Time Signal Reveiver?

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Thu Apr 5 14:25:28 EDT 2007

At 12:26 PM 4/5/2007, you wrote:
>My guess is that it is a converter that allows a fixed 10 MHz receiver to
>receive a range of other frequencies. I can't quite read the tuning dial to
>see just what range it covers.
>-mike-

Zellwegger was (is?) a Swiss company. Back in the period after WWII
they produced some moderately tunable receivers for around 8-15MHz
for receiving time signals. I think what is shown here is an
up-convertor designed to be used with the Zellwegger unit to receive
the signal from the former time and frequency station VNG which had a
very good signal on 2.5MHz and another around 4.5MHz.

A Zellwegger receiver can be seen here:
http://www.radiomuseum.org/forumdata/upload/Swiss%2D2%2Ejpg

I would love to know where the convertor came from, I recall seeing a
setup like this back in the early 60's in a  laboratory with a Bendix
BC-221 and some other early frequency counting and calibrating
equipment, including a Russian copy of the BC-221.

John