[time-nuts] Prologix GPIB/USB converter help...

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sat Apr 14 21:05:09 EDT 2007

Hi --

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I know there are some folks here
who have used the nifty little Prologix GBIB dongles.

I just got one and am trying to get it running under Linux.  I have the
low-level configuration right (I think) and the device is recognized and
I can talk to it, after a fashion, on the /dev/ttyUSB0 port.

But when I try to actually communicate with it using a terminal emulator
(I've tried both minicom and picocom) using the 115,200 N81 settings
that I've been told are required, it's as if there is a baud rate, word
length, or parity problem -- 99% of the characters echoed on the screen
are question marks, with a few other characters randomly tossed in.  The
device is talking to the terminal program, and appears to be accepting
data, but something is screwing up the characters received (and maybe sent).

I've tried a couple of different comm parameters, but none of them make
a difference.  I am *not* getting the blinking LEDs on the dongle that
supposedly indicate improper comm settings.

Any ideas what's going on, and how to fix it?

Thanks,

John