[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

Thomas A. Frank ka2cdk at cox.net
Fri Apr 20 01:43:31 EDT 2007

> Take a look at this "Aromatherapy and Audiophools" which appeared in
> Electronics World and Wireless World, October 1999. I thought it was so
> funny I scanned it and stuck it on my web site.

Wonderful!  Many thanks for that.

My favorite story in this department involved a visit to a friend who
was one of 'those people'.

So, to test his critical listening skills vis-a-vis the quality of his
multi-thousands of dollars in equipment,
we had him put on his favorite, best source, sit and listen while we
adjusted the controls on the set until he
said we had gotten the sound just perfect.

We switched back and forth, once we had the setting he thought sounded
best, to what he had argued was best.

The debate had been between whether the tone settings should be flat or
not.  Didn't matter.

The setting he thought sounded far and away the best?  *Mono*

We were never regaled with stories of his superb equipment or critical
listening again.

Tom Frank