[time-nuts] OT: Audiophoolery

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Fri Apr 20 21:33:51 EDT 2007

At 05:54 PM 4/20/2007, Neon John wrote:
>On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:55:16 -0400, John Day
><johnday at wordsnimages.com> wrote:
>

> >The day I told him I played a trick on him. I invited him around to
> >hear my system. In those days a pair of home-brewed Klipsch
> >look-alikes. He raved, until he saw that the amp wasn't the big
> >glowing thing on the bench, I was using a simple National
> >Semiconductor LM2875 amp and some standard 3 core mains cable top
> >connect it to the speakers. We still talk, but he is a little less
> >boastful now. Sadly the Corner horns didn't survive a divorce and a
> >move to smaller digs.
>
>I feel yer pain buddy!  My real Klipsches didn't survive a fire.

Sad, isn't it. But in those days I had a house with a good size
listening room ( 16m long, about 6m wide) that could handle them.

>   Gawd
>I miss those horns.  Those proved that excellent speakers make
>everything else in the system relatively unimportant.

And the efficiency! I got turned on to horns by a now sadly departed
friend who had some upright folded horns that could fill his place
with only three or four watts.

>John, did you copy the folded horn design or just the looks.

The whole nine yards, so to speak. I based the design on a couple of
articles, possibly even academic papers, it is a long time back now,
that described the horn and its mathematics.

>   I've
>pondered trying to build another set but I think that degree of
>woodworking skill is just beyond my capabilities.

Well, don't despair. I have seen places that will accurately cut
materials for hobby cabinet makers and the likes. I beleive some of
them will do speaker stuff as well, give them some good accurate
drawings and they will do it. As for me, well it would need to be a
design that takes up no more than a square foot of floor space each!

John