[time-nuts] HP10544A defective? Looking fro 10811

Howard W. Ashcraft hashcraft at hansonbridgett.com
Sun Apr 22 09:51:30 EDT 2007

I have been building a GPSDO around an HP10544A that I purchased on
eBay.  After some teeth-gnashing, I have concluded that the 10544A is
defective.  When attached to a load (it is supposed to be rated into 50
ohms) the frequency drops radically, and in fact, the frequency is
dependent upon load, never a good thing.  In addition, the output into a
high impedance load has strong collateral/noise signals that are
confusing downstream circuitry.  You can get a somewhat dirty sine wave
if you use a high-pass filter setting on an oscilloscope.  I took a look
on an SA and saw a fair amount of energy bouncing around 1.9 Mhz.

I am aware of the potential interference from the switcher heating
element and have isolated it with a LC filter, but to no avail.  Before
I see how big a dent I can create chucking this at the wall, I thought I
was see if anyone with experience with the 10544A thinks I'm missing
something.  In the alternative, does anyone have a 10811 they are
willing to sell before I start looking on eBay again?

Thanks,

Howard

This communication, including any attachments, is confidential and may be protected by privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by telephone or email, and permanently delete all copies, electronic or other, you may have.

To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

The foregoing applies even if this notice is embedded in a message that is forwarded or attached.