[time-nuts] History of Quartz radio crystals

Neon John jgd at johngsbbq.com
Sun Apr 29 03:25:43 EDT 2007

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 17:59:10 -0700 (PDT), Colin Bradley
<colinbradley10 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>In my wanderings, I ran across this interesting history of the quartz crystal industry.
>http://www.ieee-uffc.org/fc_history/bottom.html

Very interesting.  Another little tidbit not in that article.  There
was a radio quartz mine only a few miles from my home in Tellico
Plains, TN.  A photo of what's left is here, bottom of the page:

http://www.neon-john.com/RV/Tellico/State_Line/State_line_home.htm

The vertical shaft has been filled in but the horz part remains. There
is some beautiful quartz on the walls.  I've never bothered to try to
learn any of the history of this mine.  Mostly what is know is that it
was an excellent place to take yer girlfriend from some private time
:-)

John
---
John De Armond
http://www.neon-john.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
All great things are simple and many can be expressed in single words:
Freedom, Justice, Honor, Duty, Mercy, Hope.  -Churchill