[time-nuts] Scope Clock

Robert Atkinson robert.atkinson at genetix.com
Thu Aug 2 03:46:26 EDT 2007

Hi Nigel & Eric,
I've just order one of Jan's clocks. He has just got PCB's back in
stock.  I looked quite carefully and 1PPS is standard. The board has a
PCF8563 RTC chip with a 1PPS output that is used by the microprocessor.
The signal line has a 2 pin header that has a jumper for internal 1PPS
or you can use the header to supply an external 1PPS.
The clock has two basic modes of operation, one where the microprocessor
just reads the RTC and displays that time, the other (AVR Master Clock)
where it counts the 1PPS. While in master mode it updates the RTC to use
for reversion in case of power fail (The RTC has battery back-up on the
board).
It looks like a great little board. The only limitation I can see is
that the ADC's are un-buffered R/2R ladder types with fairly high output
impedance. I want to drive a small X-Y display so I think I will have to
build a buffer amplifier.
I'll keep the group up dated.

Robert G8RPI.