[time-nuts] EMI from florescent lights

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Aug 10 01:11:19 EDT 2007

A bulb in a ceiling fixture just burned out.  Time to get out the ladder...

Does anybody know how much garbage comes from the standard CFL "60 watt"
replacements for incandescent lamps?  I'm interested in both WWVB and GPS.

WWVB is 60 KHz which is the 500th harmonic of 120 Hz.   500 is a big number,
so maybe that's not a serious problem.  I don't have any WWVB gear right now
so this part is just academic curiosity.

On the other hand, that fixture is only 6-8 ft from a couple of GPS antennas.