[time-nuts] Sorry -- Wrong Allan

Tom Clark, K3IO tom.k3io at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 21:53:36 EDT 2007

Said wrote:

> I talked to Paul Allan (Mr. Allan deviation) and Jack Kusters who both
> worked on the Z3816A development . . . .
Sorry, but Said picked the wrong Allan. The Allan (often wrongly spelled
Allen) of ADEV fame is David W. Allan  (see
http://www.allanstime.com/AllanVariance/index.html). From 1960 thru
1992, David was a senior researcher at NIST's Boulder Labs where he
developed a world-wide reputation for defining the ways to characterize
the performance of clocks.

I'm certain that all the Time-Nuts are familiar with the monograph that
David (along with Neil Ashby & Cliff Hodge) wrote as HP Application note
1289. David has a copy on his web site at
http://www.allanstime.com/Publications/DWA/Science_Timekeeping/index.html
and I have posted a copy at on http://gpstime.com at
ftp://ftp.cnssys.com/pub/PTTI/hpan1289.pdf. For me, HPAN1289 has always
been THE BIBLE of timekeeping. Be certain to read Appendix B which
describes the statistical performance of .John Harrison's Marine
Chronometers from the 18th century.

73, Tom