[time-nuts] Of rubidium life and piggy-bank anemia....

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 09:18:44 EST 2007

Bruce,

I think there may still be a problem if you only have one counter latch and
a tag to indicate which input's data is in the latch, aside from
metastability issues. If two of the signals you want to compare are very
close in timing, there may not be enough time for the processing logic to
collect the data from the first pulse before the second one comes along.

As Poul pointed out, if you compare two GPSDOs that are a few nS apart (or
less), that puts a new strain on the logic collecting data. If each input
has its own counter latch and you are measuring PPS signals, you have a
whole second to process the data.

I guess there could be an issue with multiple counter latches that
propagation time within the device may not be the same for all inputs, and
calibration (and possibly temperature compensation of that delay spread)
might become necessary?

Didier