[time-nuts] HP 5061A Info requested

DP 28bravo at comcast.net
Sat Dec 1 15:32:20 EST 2007

service at frequencystandards.com wrote:
> Hi Dennis,I would be glad to help you trouble shoot your 5061. I am out of
> the office on vacation until next Tuesday but can get you started on a few
> things. I don't have a spare copy of the 5061B manual but I believe
> someone said there is a copy on the Agilent web site archives of manuals.
> Unfortunately, not being in the office, I can't tell you off the top of my
> head what the web site url is.
>      When you said it doesn't power up, do you mean that you have turned
> the meter position to supply and battery and they both read zero? I
> will assume for now that this is the situation. If true, first
> disconnect the internal battery if it has one. There is a plug on the
> A17 board to do this. Now, on the same board, check the voltage on
> the 18.7 test point and the 33V test point. If you look in your 5061A
> manual, the A17 board is the same board in both versions. A few
> different test points but located tha same place and looks almost the
> same. (I am assuming here that you have already checked your rear
> panel fuses.)
> If you have 18.7 volts within a few tenths of a volt, and 33 volts within
> a couple of volts, your main power supply board is probably all ok and
> your problem is somewhere else.
>      It's crucial at this point to know exactly what the unit is doing
> though. I am going to wait for your reply before going further since
> I can write a lot that would be irrelevant depending on your actual
> symptoms and not my guessing.
>     Can't guarantee I wil get back to you within a day but will try. Had
> to sneak in and check email after my wife and family went to bed. It's
> 1 am now so probably wont be able to get back on till early Sunday
> morning.
> Chuck Norton

Chuck:
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out with this issue. I
just measured the voltages, I see + 30.5 volts on the 30V line, 0 volts
on the 18.8 line. This leads me to assume that something is amiss on the
A-15 regulator board. Looking at A-15 outputs on the pcb edge connector:
Pin 4=0 v, pin 12=30.5v, pin 18=9.9 v, pin 15=0v. These readings may
make more sense when you have the schematic in front of you
Again, thanks so much, let me know where else to look.

Dennis, W6DEN
Btes