[time-nuts] Chronometer contest sponsored by IEEE Spectrum

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Dec 2 16:40:06 EST 2007

> Here is another idea: how about subjecting the watch to 32KHz ultrasonic
> sound that beats with, and pulls the tuning fork?

I did this a couple of years ago with mixed results. I think
one reason is that the hp 32 kHz signal generator wasn't
stable enough and I probably dithered the poor tuning fork
more than pulled it. Still, it clearly looked like it would work.
You can buy 30 kHz ultrasonic transducers for a few dollars.

Also, have a look at:
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/Junghans/

That wrist watch data was collected simply with a magnetic
coil pick-up, amplified, and sent directly to a 53132A as a
1PPS signal.

Those of you curious about the world of mechanical watch,
clock, and pendulum measurement (as opposed to the usual
time-nuts focus on precision electronic timekeeping) should
spend a few minutes looking at Bryan Mumford's site. Almost
all the mechanical clock and watch guys I know use his gear:
http://www.bmumford.com/

Also check out his cool time machine (intervalometer).

/tvb