[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz referenceoscilator

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Dec 11 21:40:39 EST 2007

In a message dated 12/11/2007 17:00:17 Pacific Standard Time,  wb6bnq at cox.net
writes:

>A  very high quality ocxo would probably satisfy the need.  Or as  someone
>suggested, a combination of ocxo and a Rb.  The Rb would  provide the longer
term
>needed for the really high multiplication into  upper GHz region and the ocxo
>locked to Rb would [ possibly ] provide  the "quiet" drive  source.

>Bill....WB6BNQ

Hi Bill,

a Rubidium would take about 15 to 20 Watts, and they don't  usually work at
12V battery voltage typically.

At 20 Watts we would consume 1.67A at 12V, so a (large) 80Ah car batt would
only last two days in best conditions at room temperature.

If we add the OCXO power and low battery temperatures, then we are probably
down to 20 to 24 hours of operation or so.

BTW: interestingly Lead battery capacity is also related to discharge
current, not just temperature.

bye,
Said