[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 13 17:22:52 EST 2007

SAIDJACK at aol.com wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> that HP puck runs it's crystal at over 100 Degrees C, and the enclosure
> temperature of a typical OCXO gets to above 60C in still air.
>
> They also have Tantalum caps, and anyone who has seen a fiery Tantalum cap
> explosion knows these things can be very dangerous.
>
> You may wake up dead, or castrated.
>
> I would not put that thing near my groin if I were you!
>
> bye,
> Said

Said

The E1938A oven has exceptionally high thermal gain so variations in the
OCXO frequency due to ambient temperature changes may well be insignificant.
Before proposing drastic/dangerous measures David should attempt to
measure the E1938A frequency variations as a function if temperature to
see if the frequency change is actually significant.
Making such a measurement is likely to be an extremely
difficult/challenging  task. Even so measurement beats speculation
everytime.

Bruce