[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

phil fortime at bellsouth.net
Thu Dec 13 22:26:28 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Griffiths" <bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz>
To: "Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement"
<time-nuts at febo.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 6:08 PM
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference
oscilator

> Magnus Danielson wrote:
> > > Why would it be very hard? For his purpose it should easy enought to
measure
> > > the frequency shift which he would allow, and achieving the necessary
shift in
> > > temperature to get the ball-park aspect should not be too hard to
acheive in a
> > > home enviorment and a thermometer.
> > >
> > > I am sure the E1938A would pull it off.
> > >
> > > Talking about E1938A. Where can I find one???
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Magnus
> > >

> Hej Magnus
>
> The test sheet on a typical (sample size of 1) E1938A test sheet states
> among other things
> Max slope near 0.T,     0 mHz/degree. (ie tempco < 1E-13/degree)
> So in practice, depending on what equipment is available, the
> measurement of the frequency change is likely to be extremely challenging.
> At best it may be possible to state that the frequency change is less
> than 1E-11 (substitute actual measurement resolution/accuracy limits).
>
> For an E1938A try bidding on one of  the Australian sourced Z3815A's
> that keep popping up on ebay (however bids are relatively high).
>
> Bruce

For those that wanted the HP "hockey puck" oscillator, one is one ebay now
but is closing in hours.  GPS Locked, 10 MHz Frequency Standard, HP
Z3815A/E1938A   http://search.ebay.com/330196691921

The man apparently had two of these units, the first one sold for 1725.00,
this one is up to 1005.00 now. It would make a nice Christmas present !