[time-nuts] Stepping up the output of an OCXO

Stephan Sandenbergh stephan at rrsg.ee.uct.ac.za
Fri Feb 2 06:55:01 EST 2007

Hi Bruce,

A great many thanks for all the hints and tips you gave me.

Yes, I have actually started working my way through Wenzel's hints & tips
pages after I posted the first message. I remembered that you pointed me
there in a previous conversation we had.

I find the schematic you attached in your last post very interesting - I
happen to have a soft spot for discrete analog solutions that can still beat
their integrated counterparts.

However, I still tend to lean towards the "mini-circuits" type
attenuator/Gain block idea. The reasons are all the reasons why everyone is
leaning toward integrated solutions. (e.g. the integrated solutions might
cost a bit more, but it uses a lot less board space; if a unit fails you
simply replace it with another one, less components, etc, etc.)

Nevertheless, I noted you use the word 'must' as in: if you must use the
mini-circuits.... So I suspect there might be a down-side to using this kind
of approach. Or is it just that the discrete solution works somewhat better?
Do you mind elaborating a bit on this?

Regards,

Stephan Sandenbergh