[time-nuts] OT: transfer of 3 GHz via fiber optic

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Tue Feb 20 22:37:52 EST 2007

Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:
> Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> Dr Bruce Griffiths wrote:

>>> Didier
>>>
>>> I presume you are directly modulating the laser.
>>> This is hopeless you get chirping and all sorts of other effects that
>>> are virtually impossible to tame.
>>> An external electrooptic (LiNb03) modulator is the only way that
>>> actually works and has a halfway decent performance.
>>>
>>> Bruce
>>>

>> Bruce,
>>
>> I am talking about an integrated 4 GB/s transceiver from Avago:
>> AFCT-57R5. It is a small plug-in module, so they probably directly
>> modulate the laser. I understand when the laser turns on, there are
>> probably a bunch of transient effects until the beam is stabilized. An
>> external modulator would alleviate these problems, but the cost is most
>> likely out of the question for this market.
>>
>> Both the transmitter and the receiver each have *average* jitter
>> specifications of about 60 pS, from logic level signals.
>>
>> So even with a better modulator, the receiver still would create way too
>> much jitter. It is probably a pin diode. I guess the answer would be an
>> heterodyne receiver?
>>
>> Probably performance would be much better if it were not measured at the
>> end of 10 kM of monomode fiber, but they don't say. I guess they are
>> designed for an application where it's 10kM or you don't need it.
>>

>> Didier

> Didier
>
> There is no virtually possibility of direct modulation working
> sufficiently well.
> If an external modulator is unaffordable, then forget it.
> All successful RF over fiber applications uses external modulators.
>
> Integrated lasers + modulators cost somewhere in the region of $US1000
> or a perhaps a bit more.
> The microwave InGaAs photodiode and matched amplifier at the other end
> has a similar cost.
>
> End to end, the phase noise floor of around -130dBc/Hz at L band.
> This may well be good enough.
>
> Bruce

Bruce,

Thanks for the rough order of magnitude. I believe the cost you are
indicating may not be out of line. It will save a remote synthesizer, so
that would be a significant saving, over simply sending a 10 or 100 MHz
reference. I will check with my friend and if he is interested, I may
call you back for more details.

Thanks a lot.

Didier