[time-nuts] Fine print on HP 5334B

jshank j-shank at comcast.net
Fri Feb 23 09:20:51 EST 2007

Hi,

I check my 5370b by using the 10 MHz output and feeding it to the counter.
What I see is a fluctuation in the displayed reading of between 9.999 999
998 73 to 9.999 999 997 25.  The instrument is set for 1 s gate. Sometimes
one reading will remain for a couple of arming but usually the reading will
change between six different readings with the high and low as above.

I am assuming there is a problem with this instrument and am asking for
suggestions on what can be done to correct this problem.

Ps. this instrument has the 10811-06111 oscillator.  I have tried using the
10 MHz output from the 5370 as an external reference to a 53131A while
measuring the frequency of the 5370 10 MHz output.  After both instruments
warm up the frequency of the 5370 output is displayed on the 53131A with a 1
s gate time as 10.000 000 000  and if I increase the gate time to 10s the
reading is 10.000 000 000 0 with the reading remaining rock solid.

Thanks,

Jeff