[time-nuts] Positional accuracy of the M12+T

Randy Warner Randy at synergy-gps.com
Wed Jan 3 17:40:00 EST 2007

Hal,

The height error is larger mainly because you don't have any satellites
UNDER the antenna. If you run your GPS antenna in a window you will see
a similar effects on the X/Y accuracy as you are only seeing satellites
in a narrow area of the sky and the DOP goes way up. Without any
satellites under the antenna your "altitude DOP" is huge. Note that this
is a simplification of what is going on, but it gets the point across.
The altitude error is normally about 1.5X the X/Y errors, depending on
whose receiver you are using.....

The "ideal" geometry (again, this is just a generalization) is to have 1
SV directly overhead and three others about 10 degrees over the horizon
and evenly spaced (120 degrees apart in azimuth). Some people will argue
that having the 3 low satellites even lower would decrease the PDOP, but
you run into ionospheric error problems that outweigh the decrease in
PDOP.

Randy