[time-nuts] ARRL FMT results

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 4 07:05:54 EST 2007

In message <20070104.044145.1474621952.imp at bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" writes
:
>I have a silly question about these measurements...
>
>Since the signal is being transmitted from a fixed point.  Wouldn't
>people west of the transmitter measure a different (lower?) frequency
>than those east of the transmitter due to the rotation of the earth?
>Or are those effect well below the margin of error that people have
>reported measuring?

You're a couple of hundred years behind on physics Warner :-)

Speed of light is constant, so as long as transmitter and receiver
does not move relative to each other, the frequency stays the same.

But there will be a correction for their relative height in the
gravity field (as shown by Toms mountain excursion).