[time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jan 15 09:30:54 EST 2007

In message <1174.210.4.139.138.1168870866.squirrel at webmail.lysator.liu.se>, bg@
lysator.liu.se writes:
>On Mon, January 15, 2007 11:41, Poul-Henning Kamp said:

>Many surveyors use GPS and GLONASS L1+L2 now. Are there there even ONE
>major manufacturer of dual freq receivers that have not announced support
>for the upcoming Galileo signals. More satellites up there will enable
>usage in marginal conditions where today GPS alone fails.

Absolutely!  All of them will love the free signals, but none of
them are going to pay for the subscription service.

>> My conclusion is that Galileo was a bluff to force GPS under NATA
>> control and it didn't work out and now nobody has the balls (or
>> ovaries) to admit that.
>
>Or maybe its a system to give the French nuclear forces an alternative
>GNSS...  :-)
>
>That said, its sad if Galileo funding problems remove all european Loran-C
>funding.

Right now the European Radio Navigation Plan is stalled because
the commission is too busy (finding money for Galileo) to do anything
about the larger picture, which includes Loran-C.