[time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.

Magnus Danielson cfmd at bredband.net
Mon Jan 15 09:59:58 EST 2007

From: "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Giove A has become "official" now.
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:46:21 +0000

Poul-Henning,

> In message <20070115.152454.-432837393.cfmd at bredband.net>, Magnus Danielson wri
> tes:
>
> >I have heard that the proposed fee was 1 EUR, but I don't know the current
> >idea about it.
>
> The 1EUR per receiver fee is not decided and if it was, it would be
> pointless, because there is no way to enforce and it would never
> amount to enough money to matter anyway.

I agree it would be rather pointless, but at least for some manufactures it
would/could be a limiting factor and unnecessary hazzle.

The best thing would be for them to forget about the whole license thing and
remove that from their specs.

> >If there is a license fee, then it will be a "gold" system only,
>
> Actually, I think the "value add" of the subscription service is
> another signal one second later saying "the data for last second
> was received correct at our monitoring station, so you can rely
> on it".

Now, there is a value added service indeed. But that is beyond that of the
open service.

Cheers,
Magnus