[time-nuts] OT: RoHS crap

Chuck Harris cfharris at erols.com
Mon Jan 15 14:23:33 EST 2007

Hi Michael,

RoHS parts usually solder nicely with normal 63/37 solder.  They will
dilute the solder alloy slightly, but that usually is of no concern.

The big problem with RoHS parts is they don't age well on the shelf.
I have found that over time, they will not take solder as quickly as
when they are new.  So, new old stock (NOS) RoHS parts will be a much
bigger gamble than NOS tin/lead parts.

Another problem, is their mostly tin plating grows tin whiskers which
can cause shorts out at some point in the future.

It is fun to watch the RoHS parts as they reach soldering temperature.
the shiny finish turns to a mossy crinkle finish, like a wrinkle finish
paint job.  What you are seeing is the electroplated finish crystalize.

-Chuck Harris

OBTW, in the irony department, it has been reported that RoHS solders are
actually more toxic (and mobile) when they enter the ground water than lead.