[time-nuts] OT: RoHS crap

Gerald Molenkamp geraldm at iprimus.com.au
Tue Jan 16 06:08:13 EST 2007

Hi Poul,

I think your point of view is correct.

I manufacture Fibre based GE + TDM Telecommunications products sold to the
European and Asia market with exceptional reliability to operate within the
Power industry. They demand 99.999% availability end to end and devices with
time deterministic parameters for operating fail safe and protection
signalling systems.

As we speak/type, much of the old generation equipment is being replaced by
very new cutting edge electronics with endless functionality. This causes
massive disposal problems in Europe, Australia and many other countries that
are just starting to realise the impact hazardous waste has on the ground
water, irrespective if you have a large land mass or not.

Our business has to-date spent a small fortune changing all our design &
production facilities to meet with RoHS 5 and by the end of the year RoHS 6.
However I can not say the same for many first world Countries, who wish to
continue to dump their so called compliant stock on the market.

Actually we are so far ahead, we are winning business because of the leap in
compliance and further more it has made us realise that RoHS is a perfect
opportunity to totally enhance our products using the latest semies, thus
future proofing them for the next 5 years, 2 to 3 years ahead of our
competitors. It is amazing what one can do when pushed.

RoHS 5 is an interesting mandate, Lead based solder can still be used as
long as the components are a mixture of RoHS and not, RoHS 6 must comply
will 100% lead free components and solder process. Both work well, infact we
have GE fibre based system in place operating to +60 Degrees C, these items
have been in service for 2 years +. A recent Audit did not show any yield
issues.

I think it is time that all first world Countries cleans up their act,
hopefully this will leave a better place for our children and children's
children, I am all for it.

Please take a moment to review the following:-

http://www.rohsguide.com/?gg=us&kw=rohs%20compliance&gclid=COayjM_k5IkCFQloYAodqWjeGw

Happy soldering.

Gerald