[time-nuts] Concern over Daylight Saving Time

Mike Suhar msuhar at woh.rr.com
Fri Jan 19 19:28:15 EST 2007

The windows patch sets the date of the switch.  It may take care of some
other housekeeping DST related issues too.  I have not read the
documentation as to what is in that patch.  The patch covers XP and windows
2003.  There is no patch for windows 2000 or prior. For Windows 2000 use the
resource kit tool to set the conversion date.

Hold off applying the XP or 2003 patch until Microsoft releases the Office
patch that goes along with the operating system patch.  I think the office
patch is primarily for Outlook.  That patch should be out soon at which time
Microsoft will change the severity of the patch to "critical" and it will be
automatically applied if you use the Microsoft update feature.

I also work in the IT field.  I am not concerned about the computing
environment at least from the Windows perspective.  It is all the other
stuff out there where I can not just download a patch such as my VCR,
television, etc.  I will have to manually change those in March then change
them back an hour in April when they are set to automatically spring ahead!
I think the VCR has a DST flag so maybe if I set that in March it won't try
to advance again in April.

Maybe I can just set all the clocks in the place to UTC and be done with it.

Mike