[time-nuts] Concern over Daylight Saving Time

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sat Jan 20 12:19:19 EST 2007

Good day,

On 20-Jan-07 at 11:37 John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

>Bruce Lane said the following on 01/20/2007 11:33 AM:
>> Good morning,

>> On 20-Jan-07 at 09:36 Mike Suhar wrote:
>>
>>> Not so.  Even Windows time service uses UTC so the local PC must have
>the
>>> time zone set correctly for the hour to be correct. If this was not the
>>> case
>>> PC in remote offices that sync with our Ohio based domain controller
>would
>>> only get eastern time.  I don't think our California based employees
>would
>>> take to kindly to that.
>>
>> 	What I'm getting at is that (as one example) all the systems on our
>network are configured to set their clock according to NTP broadcast
>messages that are sent from the time server (a Symmetricom/TrueTime
>NTS-200) on our LAN.
>>
>> 	This means that our systems will listen for, and set themselves to,
>whatever the 200 puts out as a time message, no matter what time of year
>it is. It is easily possible to disable the automated DST changeover on
>both Windows and *nix-based systems.
>>
>> 	So: Given that, and assuming a similar configuration, I still believe
>that many places will only need to make sure their time server is set
>correctly.
>
>Bruce, I may be misreading you, so apologies in advance, but NTP talks
>only UTC; it has no concept whatever of local time zones.  Any
>conversion to DST has to happen on the client boxes; if they don't have
>the right dates in their timezone file (no matter what the OS), there's
>nothing that NTP can do to override that.

	Ah! Thank you, and no you were not misreading me. I was not aware that the DST offset was happening on the systems themselves.

	You're right. This year is going to be interesting.

	Keep the peace(es).

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"