[time-nuts] Odd request

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 25 18:51:12 EST 2007

> I know this is a very broad question, but does anyone have advice on
> where I might start hacking (or making) a  mechanical clock face to
> accomplish this? Is there a simple clock design that I could start
> with to build my own?  Maybe replacing a pendulum or escapement with a
> solenoid?  Any examples to work from?

There was an article in Scientific American Sep 74 describing a nice hack to
synchronize a pendulum clock to a quartz crystal.  They attached a magnet to
the pendulum and then pulsed a coil at the right time.  It was the typical
Amateur Scientist level of detail.

Some pack rat on this list (I think) sent me a scanned in copy.  I can send
it to anybody who wants it.