[time-nuts] ACE-III GPS receivers

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Sat Jan 27 21:34:58 EST 2007

As Joseph said, notebook hard drive cables are 2mm. You can just peel off
the number of wires that you need from the ribbon. If I remember I'll try to
find all the proper pages in Mouser for the various bits.

I had to mount an antenna outside to get reception because the building is
all metal. My office is on the north-side and setting a receiver in the
window I *might* be able to get 2 or 3 satellites for brief moments, but not
long enough to do any good.

http://www.rabel.org/archives/Images/Misc/GPS_Antenna.jpg

The mount was already there from an existing antenna (which reminds me I
need to take pictures of it, maybe one of you ham guys would have a use for
it). Having a scissor lift made it extremely easy to mount that sucker up
there. :) I *think* I paid like $30-$40 for mine, it was NIB. I had to run
about 100ft of RG-58 from the antenna across the building and finally down
to my office.

The Jupiter receivers has a MCX connector, but it sounds like your
direct-connect method works great (and much cheaper).

You know I was reading some GPS manual (don't ask me which), and you could
actually set the minimum signal strength for the receiver to use a
satellite. Perhaps the Thunderbolt has a similar setting and it is turned
higher than a normal receiver?

I totally can sympathize about the lack of time. I need about a dozen clones
of myself!

Jason