[time-nuts] Some Learning about the RFTG units

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun Jan 28 18:56:46 EST 2007

I couldn't get my RFTG-m-XO and RFTG-m-RB units to play together; no
matter what I did, the RB unit never recognized GPS from the XO unit --
the "NO GPS" LED would always stay lit.

I took my units to my almost neighbor (20 miles away) Jim Miller, who
also has several RFTG units.  We plugged my -RB into his -XO, and
everything worked just fine.

Jim then realized that his -XO was an "L106A" and mine was an "L106B".
My -RB was an "L105A".  Apparently the A and B units won't talk to each
other.

We further verified that the B model has an 8 channel GPS where the A
has a 6 channel, and the GPS messages that it puts on the interface
cable are quite a bit different.

So, in order to work properly you apparently need to have either a pair
of A units, or of B units.  You can't mix and match.

John