[time-nuts] Metastability in a 100 MHz TIC

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 20 20:57:29 EDT 2007

Bruce I find this an interesting thread.......one maybe naive thought......
"it would be nice to have a"too-good" stability on the 100MHz TIC but
detracts from the averaging" (My interpretation), this almost suggests to me
that a small amount of noise modulation which of course would be random,
controlled,  and not biassed in a way to affect the accuacy of the driving,
should be added to the 100MHz TIC OCXO. Would that counter the problems on
uncharacterised drifting and still allow long averaging.?? Maybe even a slow
unsynchonised low frequeny sine wave FM would achieve the same effect. It
would seem this would be better than relying on processes which are unknown
and not controlled to provide the effect.It is counter intuitive to
intentionally degrade a "standard" in some respects but has been shown to
work in some cases.

Alan G3NYK