[time-nuts] HP 5370B low frequency modulation

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Mon Jul 23 10:28:57 EDT 2007

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>
> Hi Didier:
>
> Would you elaborate on the comment "Gold plated connectors are a well known
> example."  Do you mean when soldered with Lead Tin solder instead of a silver
> bearing solder or something else?
>
> Have Fun,
>
> Brooke Clarke
> http://www.PRC68.com
> http://www.precisionclock.com
>

> Didier Juges wrote:
>
>> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>>
>> I have seen cold solder joints on thermal fuses and certain types of
>> capacitors, while the rest of the instrument was fine with no sign of
>> corrosion.
>>
>> I think it has to do with the metal used for certain component leads. Either
>> they were never soldered well, or interface corrosion developed over time.
>>
>> Gold plated connectors are a well known example.
>>
>> Didier KO4BB

Brooke

Gold dissolves in the solder and a gold -tin intermetallic compound is
formed which severely reduces the joint integrity and ductility.
This can be circumvented by keeping the gold concentration in the solder
below 4%. Tin plating over the gold before soldering is sometimes used
to ensure this.

Bruce